The History of Nevada Country Club
Course Our course was established in 1922 by four local businessmen,
George Few, R.S. Hart, C.C. Hawkins, and Gene Todd. They leased the
property and established one of the first and most scenic golf courses
in southwest Missouri. The course contained nine holes with sand greens.
The membership fee was $6.60 paid quarterly.
The property was owned by Osage Indian Chief, Harry Kohpay. At this time
it had one small frame structure located in the center of the property.
Chief Kohpay eventually sold his property to Sam Carter in 1927. At that
time the golf association was known as the Radio Springs Golf Club. Dues
were set at $24 per year.
The frame house was purchased along with a portion of the property in
1929 by a local lawyer, Boyd Ewing. Ewing wanted to convert the house
into a clubhouse.
In the early spring of 1949, Ewing and Dr. Orville Dodge purchased the
90 acre golf course from the Carter family with the understanding that
after the formation of the country club corporation, the property would
be conveyed to the corporation. The Ewings offered their home for $7,500
to be used for a clubhouse.
In late 1949, the Nevada Country Club was incorporated. The club had 165
members with a cost to each member (share) of $225. The club was formed
exclusively for recreation, pleasure, and other non-pro fit pursuits.